New low-effort control levers, steering wheel and steering lever, plus larger, more comfortable cab offer a significant improvement in operator comfort and visibility
Rolling Meadows, March 11, 2019 — Komatsu America Corp., a leading global heavy equipment manufacturer, today announced the introduction of the GD655-7. Equipped with an EPA Tier 4 Final certified emissions regulations-compliant engine, this latest addition to the motor grader lineup will be sold concurrently with the current GD655-6 model to offer customers additional choices to meet their needs.
“The GD655-7 provides operators with an all new, ergonomic working environment and the new spacious cab allows more room for operators working long days” said Bruce Boebel, senior product manager, Komatsu America. “Operators will appreciate the new low-effort equipment and steering levers, new transmission controls and articulation stop-at-center feature. Collectively, they significantly reduce operator fatigue,” Boebel said.
Standard features of the GD655-7 include:
New Cab Enhancements
- Slightly smaller but “right sized” steering wheel provides more visibility and operator room in the cab, convenient for those long, “blade-up and roading” trips
- New steering lever allows the operator to keep hands on the low-effort, work equipment levers and make small steering adjustments, while operating without needing to turn the steering wheel
- New multi-position adjustable arm rests and LH/RH consoles have power raise/lower and mechanical fore/aft adjustments to precisely adjust to operator preferences.
- New, high-capacity, air-suspension seat softens in-cab machine vibrations for operator
- New stop-at-center articulation feature simplifies operation
- New operator presence monitoring system alerts the operator if they leave the seat and controls are not locked out properly
Under The Hood
- A powerful 218 HP (163 kW), EPA Tier 4 Final certified, SAA6D107E-3 engine
- 2-mode, 3-stage Variable Horsepower Control (VHPC) allows the selection of the appropriate mode, economy or power, to match operating parameters to application requirements for optimal fuel savings
- Komatsu Diesel Particulate Filter (KDPF) and other after treatment components are designed in conjunction with the engine for efficiency and long life
- More than 98 percent of KDPF regeneration is performed passively, with no action required of the operator and no interference with machine operation
Power Train Performance
- New transmission shift lever with finger-operated forward-neutral-reverse switch simplifies operation and dramatically reduces required hand movement
- Komatsu power shift transmission designed and built specifically for Komatsu graders provides on-the-go, full power shifting, as well as inching capability and automatic shifting in the higher ranges
- Industry exclusive, dual-mode transmission (8 forward, 4 reverse) allows operators to benefit from the high travel speeds and reduced fuel consumption of a direct drive, as well as the increased tractive effort and control of a torque converter
- An inching pedal gives the operator precise control of machine movement
- Full locking differential provides the traction required in the most severe operating conditions
Other Standard Value Features Included
- Grade control, TOPCON 3DMC plug-and-play ready, with no aftermarket valve required
- Two, five-section hydraulic control valves are standard enabling the addition of attachments and is strategically located to improve forward visibility
- Closed-center Load Sensing (CLSS) hydraulic system, with variable displacement pump, supplies flow and pressure only when required, resulting in less heat and lower fuel consumption
- Blade lift accumulators absorb shocks when the moldboard hits immovable objects
- Circle slip clutch, for accidental contact with hidden objects with the moldboard
- Greaseless circle wear plates for long life
- Independent blade lift float
AM/FM radio with auxiliary input jack and two 12-volt ports
- Seven-inch, full color, high resolution monitor with Ecology Guidance
- Separate, full color, rearview monitoring system
- Pioneering KOMTRAX telematics system and monitor, providing machine metrics, including KDPF status and DEF-level data, fuel consumption, plus performance information collected and sorted by operator ID
- Komatsu Auto Idle Shutdown to reduce idle time and save fuel
Serviceability / Komatsu CARE
- Reversible, variable speed hydraulic fan to blow out dust accumulation in the cooler
- Completely sealed and adjustment-free hydraulically actuated, wet, disc brakes
- Ground level access to fuel and DEF fill
- Easily accessible engine and hydraulic oil, and coolant drains
- All Komatsu GD655-7 units come with Komatsu CARE. Komatsu CARE provides scheduled factory maintenance for the first 2,000 hours or three years including a 50-point inspection at each service, and two complimentary KDPF exchanges in the first five years.
About Komatsu America Corp.
Komatsu America Corp. is a U.S. subsidiary of Komatsu Ltd., the world’s second largest manufacturer and supplier of earth-moving equipment, consisting of construction, mining and compact construction equipment. Komatsu America also serves the forklift and forestry markets. Through its distributor network, Komatsu offers a state-of-the-art parts and service program to support its equipment. Komatsu has proudly provided high-quality reliable products for nearly a century. Visit the website at www.komatsu.com for more information.
Komatsu® is an authorized trademark of Komatsu Ltd. Komatsu America Corp. is an authorized licensee of Komatsu Ltd. All other trademarks and service marks used herein are the property of Komatsu Ltd., Komatsu America Corp., or their respective owners or licensees.